Why did so many people from different ethnic backgrounds come to Great Britain?
- They were expected to fight for the British
- Massive task of reconstruction after WWII encouraged immigration
- Commonwealth citizens have always been free to enter GB
consequence: Immigration acts to limit the numbers of immigrants.
Majority ot those who are allowed to settle in GB are dependants of people
who are British citizens.
Two sides of multiculturalism
- Pluralism contributes to the cultural and economic vitality of GB
- Linguistic variety makes GB a preferred location multinational companies
- Multicultural character of British food
- Members of ethnic minorities experience a great number of social disadvantages
- Their children are more likely to need special help in education
- Unemployment is higher
- Racial discrimination
But ethnic minorities better integrated than in other European countries
- Massive influx of asylum seekers, refugees and illegal immigrants
- Terrorist threat